People that enter the United States to become a citizen through marriage go through the process of a K-1 visa. In order to stay in the United States, you must follow the rules of the K-1 visa, which includes that you must marry your fiancé within 90 days of your entry into the United States. To learn more, reach out to our experienced New York immigration attorneys.

What are the criteria for obtaining a fiancé visa in the United States?

If you are interested in learning about how you can obtain a fiancé visa in the United States, it is important to note that there are several factors you will need to qualify. The following includes the criteria that the United States requires an individual to meet:

  • You must present evidence that you have met your future spouse at a minimum of two years before you file. To prove this, you can produce photographs, text messages, email communications, and more.
  • You will need to confirm that after you enter the United States, you will not become a public charge. You must prove that your future spouse’s income meets or exceeds 100% of the US poverty guidelines.
  • You will have to attend an interview, medical examination, and background check.

To learn more about how to obtain a visa as a fiance, do not hesitate to reach out to our skilled New York immigration attorneys at the Law Office of Cheryl R. David today.

What can happen if I do not get married within 90 days of entry into the United States?

In the event that you do not get married within 90 days, there is a very high likelihood that you will be denied your eligibility to enter the United States and become a United States citizen. Because you are only to be granted admission into the United States based on marrying a K-1 visa petitioner, by failing to do so within the allotted 90 days, you will most likely be banned from the country. But, in some instances, if you can show that you married your spouse within 90 days, though you divorced afterward, you may pursue a green card without the support of your spouse (the K-1 petitioner). However, this is not always guaranteed, especially if it is determined that you were only marrying to obtain entrance into the United States. Do not hesitate to reach out to our skilled New York immigration attorneys if you have any further questions. Our dedicated legal team is equipped with the knowledge and experience required to ensure that you have all of the information you need.

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

Our law firm can explain all the opportunities associated with fiancé visas and help you through the entire procedure, as well as discuss whether this is a good option. For an initial consultation with a skilled immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David in New York.