If you are a United States citizen who would like to aid your relative in becoming a lawful permanent resident, keep reading and reach out to our firm today to speak with one of our skilled New York immigration attorneys.

What is a Form I-130?

Also known as Petition for Alien Relative, Form I-130 is the first step in helping an eligible relative through the United States immigration process.

Where does Form I-130 get filed?

The first step to helping your relative apply for a green card is through Form 1-130. How you file your form will mostly depend on where you currently reside. If you currently live in the United States as a United States citizen, you will file your form either at the Phoenix, Chicago, or Dallas Lockbox. But, if you are a United States citizen, live outside of the United States, and are filing for an unmarried child under the age of 21, or for one of your parents, you will have to file at the USCIS international office in the country where you are currently living.

If you are a United States citizen who is living outside of the U.S. and in a country where there is no location for a USCIS international lockbox, then you will have to file at the Dallas lockbox. The Form requires you to provide the nature of your relationship with your immigrant relative, your mailing address, marital status, and more. Additionally, the Form will require you to reveal information including the beneficiary’s full name, physical address, date of birth, and marital information.

How much does it cost to file?

It will cost $535 to file, so it is important that the form is filed correctly. This fee will need to be paid via personal check, money order, cashier’s check, or by credit card via Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions. It is in your best interest to reach out to an experienced immigration attorney to ensure that everything is filed correctly.

What information do I need to file Form I-130?

When filing this form, it is imperative that all of the necessary information is submitted. That is why it is critical that you retain the services of an experienced immigration attorney to ensure that you are filing this form properly to avoid any future complications. Some of the information you will need to submit includes evidence of your U.S. citizenship, U.S. national status, or lawful permanent residence, a copy of your child’s birth certificate (or your marriage certificate), a copy of your birth certificate, and more.

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

Our law firm can explain all the opportunities associated with fiancé visas and help you through the entire procedure, as well as discuss whether this is a good option. For an initial consultation with a skilled immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David in New York.