If you are a citizen of the United States, you may be wondering how you can obtain citizenship for your child, or your parent. Read on to learn more about the process.

What is a Form I-130

A Form I-130 is known as Petition for Alien Relative. It is the first step in assisting an eligible relative in the process of immigrating to the United States. This can be used only by citizens or lawful permanent residents of the United States who wish to establish their relationship to the eligible relative.

Where Does the Form I-130 get Filed?

Where you currently live plays a dramatic part in determining how you will file your Form I-130. If you are someone who is currently living in the United States as a United States citizen, you will file your form either at the Phoenix, Chicago, or Dallas Lockbox. However, if you are a U.S. Citizen living outside of the United States, and you are filing for an unmarried child under the age of 21, or for one of your parents, you will do so at the USCIS international office in the country where you are currently residing.

If you are a United States citizen who is living outside of the U.S. and in a country where there is not USCIS international lockbox, then you will have to file at the Dallas lockbox. The Form requires that you provide the nature of your relationship with the immigrant, your mailing address, marital status, and more. Additionally, the Form requires you to submit the beneficiary’s full name, physical address, date of birth, and marital information.

What Does it Cost to File?

It will cost $535 to file, so it is important that the form is filed correctly. It is best to consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

You will have to pay this fee either via personal check, money order, cashier’s check, or by credit card via Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions.

What Information Do I Need to File a Form I-130?

It is crucial you submit all necessary information when filing. Some of the information you will need to submit includes evidence of your U.S. citizenship, U.S. national status, or lawful permanent residence, a copy of your child’s birth certificate (or your marriage certificate), a copy of your birth certificate, and more. Filing this form can be tedious, so you may want to enlist the help of a knowledgeable attorney.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding helping a relative become a citizen, contact our firm today.

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

Our law firm can explain all the opportunities associated with fiancé visas and help you through the entire procedure, as well as discuss whether this is a good option. For an initial consultation with a skilled immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David in New York.