If you would like to become a Permanent Resident, you may be qualified to petition for Adjustment of Status. Continue reading to learn more and speak with our skilled New York immigration attorneys to discuss the specifics of your case and your options.

What is Adjustment of Status?

Adjustment of Status (AOS), is the process where a non-United States citizen can petition to become a Permanent Resident. If someone obtains permanent residency, they are able to live and work in the United States permanently. Additionally, a person who obtains this status will need to carry around their documentation, also known as a green card, at all times.

Do I qualify for AOS?

To qualify for permanent resident status in the United States, a non-United States citizen must live within the United States and meet specific criteria. You may be qualified to apply for a green card through any of the following circumstances:

  • Family-based: If the candidate is an immediate relative of a citizen in the United States, they do not need to wait for a visa. Immediate relatives that are eligible for a green card may include parents, spouses, and unmarried children under the age of 21. Additionally, there is no limit to the number of visas that can be issued for family members of a United States citizen.
  • Job or employment-based: Individuals who want to come to the United States for employment opportunities or a job offer can apply for permanent residency. It is essential to know there are special circumstances and a restricted number of visas that can be issued in this situation.
  • Refugee or asylum: Those who come to the country as a refugee or who were granted asylum can apply for permanent residency, too. This can occur one year after they came into the country. Spouses or children of refugees and asylees may also qualify.
  • Special programs: There may be other possible ways to get a green card. Reach out to our firm today to obtain more information.

How can I petition for Adjustment of Status?

This process can take months to even over a year and will require biometrics and a formal interview. In the case where a person is petitioning as the spouse of a United States citizen, then the immigration officer conducting the interview that will assess for proof of a valid marriage. While the AOS is being processed, a number of people can also file for employment authorization and “advance parole” allowing them to work and travel to and from the United States before completion.

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

Our law firm can explain all the opportunities associated with fiancé visas and help you through the entire procedure, as well as discuss whether this is a good option. For an initial consultation with a skilled immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David in New York.