If you are an individual who has recently had their Form N-400, Application for Naturalization approved by USCIS, you are ready to take the Oath of Allegiance at a naturalization ceremony. Read on to learn more about naturalization ceremonies, what they entail, what to bring, and more.

What the Different Types of Naturalization Ceremonies?

There are two types of naturalization ceremonies; the judicial ceremony, and the administrative ceremony. In both ceremonies, you will be asked to take the Oath of Allegiance, though, in a judicial ceremony, the court will administer the Oath, while in an administrative ceremony, USCIS will administer the Oath. In many cases, you will be eligible for a naturalization ceremony on the same day as your interview. If you cannot attend the scheduled ceremony, for whatever reason, do not panic. You may return the notice to your local USCIS office with a letter explaining why you cannot attend and a request for a new date. However, you should note that neglecting to appear more than once may lead to your application’s denial.

What Forms Do I Need to Bring to the Ceremony?

When arriving at the ceremony, the first thing you must do is check in with USCIS, providing a USCIS officer with your answers to the questionnaire, Form N-445, Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony. From here, you will return your Permanent Resident Card, as you will no longer need it once you receive your Certificate of Naturalization after taking the Oath. Be sure to review your Certificate of Naturalization upon receiving it to ensure there are no errors, as you will now use this certificate as proof of your U.S. citizenship. You may want an attorney to look over all of your information before submitting it.

Once the Ceremony is Complete and I have Obtained Citizenship, What Rights Do I Have?

Once you are a U.S. citizen, you can register to vote, apply for a U.S. passport, and update your Social Security record. You may also be able to help relatives gain citizenship, among other important and exciting benefits.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding NYC naturalization ceremonies, contact our firm today to speak with an experienced and dedicated immigration attorney.

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

Our law firm can explain all the opportunities associated with fiancé visas and help you through the entire procedure, as well as discuss whether this is a good option. For an initial consultation with a skilled immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David in New York.