EADs, or Employment Authorization Documents, provide immigrants a means to work in the United States legally. There is a lot to know about EADs so read on to learn more about how you can obtain one.

Who Needs an EAD?

If you are either authorized to work in the United States because of your immigration status as an asylee, refugee, or U nonimmigrant, you will need evidence of employment authorization. Additionally, if you are someone who is required to apply for permission to work in the U.S., such as those with pending Form I-485s, Form I-589s, or those who need permission from USCIS, to work in the U.S., you will need an EAD.

How do I Obtain an EAD?

Those who require EADs must file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. In order to do so, you should reach out to an experienced immigration attorney for assistance.

How do I Renew an EAD?

Those who qualify for an EAD renewal must file a new Form I-765 no later than 180 days after their original EAD has expired. Do not wait to renew your EAD. Instead, speak with an experienced immigration attorney who can help you fill out the necessary paperwork to ensure you continue working in the United States. Waiting too long to renew your EAD can result in serious issues.

What Happens if my EAD is Lost, Stolen or Destroyed?

If you need a replacement EAD, you must file a new Form I-765, along with a potential filing fee (unless a waiver is requested and approved). If your EAD contains incorrect information due to a USCIS error, you must submit the original card with the error, an in-depth explanation of the error and why it is an error, and supporting documentation of the correct information and why it should be changed. However, if your card has incorrect information that was not USCIS’s fault, you will have to submit a new Form I-765, a filing fee, all documents specified in the form instructions, and the card with the error. This can be a complicated process, so it is best to speak with a knowledgeable immigration attorney.

If you have any questions regarding obtaining, renewing, or replacing an EAD, contact our experienced firm today.

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

Our law firm can explain all the opportunities associated with fiancé visas and help you through the entire procedure, as well as discuss whether this is a good option. For an initial consultation with a skilled immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David in New York.