If you are not a United States citizen, and you are planning on marrying a U.S. Citizen, you can apply for a fiancé visa in order to enter the country. But, what if you have children? Can they enter the U.S. as well? This where a K2 visa may come into play. Read on to learn more about K2 visas and the process of obtaining one.

Who is Eligible for a K2 Visa?

A K1 visa is also known as a fiancé visa. If you are a United States citizen engaged to a non-citizen, you may apply for a K1 visa for entry into the United States.

In order to be eligible for a K2 visa, the applicant must be the child of a K1 visa holder. In addition, the individual must be under the age of 21 and unmarried. It is important to note that obtaining a K2 visa does not give the applicant immigrant status. After their parents formally marry, the child is required to file an application to register permanent residence.

What Documents Are Required For the Process?

A K2 visa is a derivative visa that is granted through a parent’s K1 fiance visa petition. It is important to note that in order for a child to be granted a K2 visa, the child’s name must be on the parent’s petition for the visa. In addition to this, the applicant must provide the following documentation:

  • Duly filled in Form DS-160
  • Passport
  • Copy of birth certificate
  • Completed Form I-134
  • Affidavit of Support and sponsor documents
  • Passport-sized photograph
  • Result of medical examination from an Embassy accredited physician

How Long Does a K2 Visa Last?

A K2 visa holder can stay in the United States as a non-immigrant for a maximum of 90 days. This is because when it comes to fiancé visas, the marriage must take place within 90 days of the fiancé’s entrance to the country. If the marriage between their parents does not take place within this timeframe, the visa holder must depart within 30 days afterward. Essentially, the validity of the visa is 120 days entirely. There are strict rules regarding these visas and as a result, this visa cannot be extended.

If you are interested in applying for a K1 or K2 visa, you will want to reach out to a skilled immigration attorney. Contact our firm today to discuss your options.

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

Our law firm can explain all the opportunities associated with fiancé visas and help you through the entire procedure, as well as discuss whether this is a good option. For an initial consultation with a skilled immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David in New York.