There are many people living and working in the United States who are not citizens. In order to become eligible for citizenship, these individuals must first obtain a certain status through a visa. Visas are available for a variety of different situations, including employment, visitation, education, marriage, and more. After living in the country for a period of time, an individual may want to change their status. This usually occurs when someone hopes to obtain permanent residency with a Green Card. In order to do this, one must go through an adjustment of status. Read on to learn more about the process of adjusting your status, who qualifies, and how to do it. 

Who Qualifies for an Adjustment of Status?

In order to apply for permanent residency, a foreign individual must meet certain qualifications. To apply for an adjustment of status, the applicant is required to live in the United States and fall under one eligibility category. The categories are as follows:

  • Family-based: If the applicant is an immediate relative of a citizen in the United States, they are not required to wait for a visa. Immediate relatives that are eligible for a Green Card can include parents, spouses, and unmarried children under the age of 21. It is important to know that there is not a limit to the number of visas that can be issued for family members of a U.S. citizen.
  • Job or employment-based: Those who wish to come to the country due to employment opportunities or a job offer can apply for permanent residency. It is important to know there are specific circumstances and a limited number of visas that may be issued for this category.
  • Refugee or asylum: Individuals who come to the country as a refugee or who were granted asylum can apply for permanent residency as well. This can be done one year after they arrived in the country. Spouses or children of refugees and asylees can qualify for this as well.
  • Special programs: Reach out to an immigration attorney for more information and other possible ways to obtain a Green Card.

If you are wondering whether you are eligible to adjust your status, contact an experienced immigration attorney to discuss your options. We are here to advocate for you and walk you through the process of changing your status.

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

Our law firm can explain all the opportunities associated with fiancé visas and help you through the entire procedure, as well as discuss whether this is a good option. For an initial consultation with a skilled immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David in New York.