Those who are permanent residents in the U.S. generally have Green Cards that are valid for 10 years. If you are someone who’s Green Card has expired, or will expire within 6 months, you cannot afford to wait. Begin the renewal process as soon as possible with the help of our seasoned immigration law firm. Here are some of the questions you may have regarding the Green Card renewal process:

How do I renew a Green Card?

To renew a Green Card, you can either fill out a Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card online or via paper application, of which you would submit by mail. If you are someone in possession of a previous version of the alien registration card, you must replace it with a current Green Card.

Can I renew a Green Card while outside of the United States?

If you are currently outside of the United States and your Green Card is to expire within 6 months, though you will return within 1 year of your departure from the U.S. and before your Green Card expires, you must file for your renewal card as soon as you return. However, if you have not applied for the renewal card before you left the United States, you must contact a U.S. Consulate, USCIS office, or a U.S. port of entry before you can file a Form I-90 for a renewal Green Card.

What should I do if my application is denied?

If your application is denied, unfortunately, you may not appeal the decision. You may, however, file a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider with the office that made the decision. However, this motion must provide new information to warrant a reopening of your case. This motion must also confirm that the decision to deny your application was based either on a misguided or incorrect application of the law, therefore establishing that the office made the wrong decision on the basis of evidence in the file at the time the decision was made.

Contact our experienced New York City firm

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. Immigration is a sensitive issue, which is why you should consider a compassionate, experienced, and aggressive immigration attorney who will guide you every step of the way. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please do not hesitate to contact our office to discuss your circumstances and options.