EADs, or Employment Authorization Documents, provide immigrants a means to work in the United States legally. Many immigrants dream of receiving an EAD, and if you are someone who has one or who is trying to get one, you’ve come to the right place. There are many things you need to know about EADs, so please read on to learn more about the document that may provide you with the security you need to efficiently perform your job and make the best of your time in the United States.

How do I obtain an Employment Authorization Document?

To get an Employment Authorization Document, you must file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. EADs are necessary for all those who are authorized to work in the U.S. because of their immigration status and need to provide evidence of that employment authorization, or if someone is required to apply for permission to work, such as those with a pending Form I-485, Form I-589, or a nonimmigrant status that lets you stay in the U.S., but you may only work once you receive permission from USCIS.

How do I renew an EAD?

Those who qualify for an EAD renewal must file a new Form I-765 no later than 180 days after their original EAD has expired. Do not wait to renew your EAD. Instead, speak with an experienced immigration attorney who can help you fill out the necessary paperwork to ensure you continue working in the United States.

What happens if my EAD is lost, stolen or destroyed?

If you need a replacement EAD, you must file a new Form I-765, along with a potential filing fee (unless a waiver is requested and approved). If your EAD contains incorrect information due to a USCIS error, you must submit the original card with the error, an in-depth explanation of the error and why it is an error, and supporting documentation of the correct information and why it should be changed. However, if your card has incorrect information that was not USCIS’s fault, you will have to submit a new Form I-765, a filing fee, all documents specified in the form instructions, and the card with the error.

Contact our experienced New York City firm

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. Immigration is a sensitive issue, which is why you should consider a compassionate, experienced, and aggressive immigration attorney who will guide you every step of the way. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please do not hesitate to contact our office to discuss your circumstances and options.