Green Cards are a wonderful way for immigrants to finally achieve a sense of security living in this country. If you are a noncitizen looking to obtain a Green Card, here are some of the questions you may have regarding the legal process going forward:

What does a Green Card do?

A Green Card can open up various job opportunities, give you the right to apply for a driver’s license, and also allow you to apply for a Social Security card. Additionally, if you are someone who travels internationally, or plans on traveling for a significant amount of time, a Green Card will grant your admittance back into the U.S., as long as you are gone for less than a year.

Can I get a Green Card?

There are several circumstances under which you may obtain a Green Card. You may apply for a Green Card for any of the following reasons:

  • If you were admitted into the United States as a refugee or as a qualifying spouse or child of an asylee, you may apply for permanent residence one year after you are granted asylum status.
  • If you are an immediate relative of a United States citizen, you do not have to wait for a visa, and there is no limit to the number of visas that can be issued. Parents of a U.S. citizen, spouses of a U.S. citizen, and unmarried children under the age of 21 of a U.S. citizen are all considered immediate relatives.
  • Under certain specific circumstances, individuals may apply for a Green Card based on employment or a job offer in the U.S. However, employment-based Green Cards are generally reserved for highly specialized jobs.

How do I apply for a Green Card?

First, you must prove your eligibility and have your sponsor sign a petition on your behalf. From here, you can file a Green Card or visa application. Those who apply for a Green Card while living here in the U.S. are requesting an adjustment of status, while those applying from outside of the U.S. must go through consular processing at the U.S. Consulate. Once your petition is approved, you may be asked to attend a biometrics session and an interview with USCIS. They will then decide whether to issue you a Green Card or not.

Contact our experienced New York City firm

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. Immigration is a sensitive issue, which is why you should consider a compassionate, experienced, and aggressive immigration attorney who will guide you every step of the way. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please do not hesitate to contact our office to discuss your circumstances and options.