Naturalization, or citizenship, is the goal of nearly all immigrants who make their way into the United States. However, full citizenship can feel out of reach for many, so when the opportunity finally arises, immigrants are often overjoyed and feel they can finally take a deep breath and relax here in the U.S. However, sometimes, people who qualify for naturalization require certain exemptions or accommodations before going forward. If you one of those people, you must read on and learn more about how our firm can help you attain the citizenship you’re after. Here are some of the questions you may have regarding certain exemptions and accommodations to citizenship testing.

Can you take the citizenship test in another language?

Fortunately, under certain circumstances, you can. If you are someone who is 50 years or older at the time of filing for naturalization and have lived as a permanent resident in the U.S. for 20 years, you may be exempt from the English language requirement, however, you will still have to take the civics test. This is also known as the 50/20 exception. Additionally, if you are 55 years or older at the time of filing for naturalization and you have lived as a permanent resident in the U.S. for 15 years, you may also be exempt from the English language requirement–this is known as the 55/15 exception.

Are there medical disability exemptions/accommodations in regards to the citizenship test?

If you are unable to comply with certain requirements due to a disability, though you are, in fact, eligible for naturalization, you may be exempt from both the English and civics naturalization requirements altogether. However, you will first have to submit Form N-648, Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions. This form can only be completed by either a licensed medical doctor, a clinical psychologist, or an osteopathic doctor.

Before officially becoming a citizen of the United States, you must first take an oath of allegiance in a public ceremony. This is a proud day for immigrants who come from all over the world. If you believe you are ready to begin the naturalization process, though feel perhaps you qualify for an exception or accommodation, reach out to our firm as soon as you can. We are here to help.

Contact our experienced New York City immigration firm

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. Immigration is a sensitive issue, which is why you should consider a compassionate, experienced, and aggressive immigration attorney who will guide you every step of the way. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please do not hesitate to contact our office to discuss your circumstances and options.