TPS is something that many non-citizens are grateful to obtain, as it protects them from any unsafe conditions in their home country. Recently, USCIS has recently extended TPS designation for six countries, allowing certain people to remain in the United States for a longer period of time than originally expected. Please read on to learn whether the TPS extension will apply to you:

What is TPS?

TPS, or Temporary Protected Status exists so that the Secretary of Homeland Security can designate certain foreign countries for TPS if he or she believes there are unsafe conditions in these countries that prevent foreign nationals from returning safely. Some qualifications for TPS can include an ongoing armed conflict, an environmental disaster, or any other “extraordinary and temporary conditions” that may prevent foreigners from returning safely.

If you are found eligible upon the initial review of your case, you are deemed not removable from the United States, you will be able to obtain an employment authorization document, and you may be granted travel authorization. If you are granted TPS, you may not be detained or deported by DHS based on your immigration status.

While TPS is only temporary, you should know that it does not necessarily prevent you from either applying for nonimmigrant status, filing for adjustment of status based on an immigrant petition, or applying for any other immigration benefit or protection recognized by USCIS. However, you, of course, must meet all eligibility requirements for any immigration-related benefit or protection.

Right now, El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Nepal, Nicaragua, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Syria, and Yemen are all currently designated for TPS.

Which countries have extended TPS documentation?

The six countries that will be extending expiration dates are El Salvador, Haiti, Nicaragua, and Sudan (from January 2, 2020, to January 4, 2021), Honduras (from January 5, 2020, to January 4, 2021), and Nepal (from March 24, 2020, to January 4, 2021).

If you need to get an EAD, or have any other questions relating to your temporary protected status here in the United States, please reach out to our firm. We are here to help by providing the answers and legal counsel you need.

Contact our experienced New York City immigration firm

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. Immigration is a sensitive issue, which is why you should consider a compassionate, experienced, and aggressive immigration attorney who will guide you every step of the way. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please do not hesitate to contact our office to discuss your circumstances and options.