When an individual wishes to financially sponsor someone that wishes to immigrate to the United States, they may not be sure where to start and may want to have their questions answered before actually committing to the process. Below are some of the answers to questions that potential sponsors may have.

How can I begin the sponsor process?

In order to inform the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services agency that you would like to sponsor someone, you’ll need to file either a Petition for Alien Relative (if that person is a relative) or an Affidavit of Support.

What is an affidavit of support?

This document states that the sponsor will financially support the immigrant to ensure that the individual will not have to rely on government assistance programs such as Food Stamps, Medicaid, SSI, or Temporary Assistance to Needy Families.

Is there an income requirement to become a financial sponsor? 

If you are petitioning on behalf of an immigrant relative, you may have to meet financial qualifications as part of the Petition for Alien Relative. If you do not, you may also include the income of another member of your household to help you meet the financial requirements. This requires the sponsor to fill out an Affidavit of Support Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member.

If you have questions about sponsoring someone, contact our firm today.

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please contact the office to discuss your circumstances and options.