When an individual is thinking about coming to the United States to work, it is important that they obtain the proper visa that aligns with the job they are going to do. One common confusion about employment visas is regarding the differences between an H-1b visa and an H-2b visa.

H-1B Visas: Specialty Occupations, DOD Research, Fashion Models

H-1b visas are for individuals who work in specialty occupations that require at least bachelor degree’s or higher, work for the Department of Defense conducting research and development that requires at least a bachelor’s degree or higher, and for those who work as fashion models with distinguished ability or merit. The USCIS only allows 65,000 H-1b petitions each fiscal year, plus an additional 20,000 that are filed on behalf of those with U.S. master’s degrees or higher.

H-2B Visas: Temporary Non-Agricultural Workers

The other type of employment visa that many individuals petition for is an H-2B visa. The USCIS has also imposed a cap on the number of petitions that are accepted, totaling at 66,000 each fiscal year, with 33,000 beginning work in each half of the fiscal year. The purpose of the H-2B visa is to employ additional workers for jobs that there are not enough U.S. workers who are able, willing, qualified, and available to do.

If you are considering employment in the United States, contact our firm.

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please contact the office to discuss your circumstances and options.