If you have an adopted child and you want to bring them to the United States, there are ways to do that. How complex the process will be can depend on a number of factors, some of which are out of your control. If filling out all of the forms and finding the right place to send them seems like a daunting task, we understand completely. That is why we recommend that parents consult a skillful NYC family immigration attorney from our law firm instead of trying to go through this process on their own.

Which Kinds of Visas Can an Adopted Child Use?

If you want your adopted child to immigrate to the United States, they are likely going to end up using one of the following types of visa:

I-H3 visa: This can be issued for children who have had their final adoptions completed. They must reside in a Hague Convention country. These are countries that have reached an agreement on certain anti-trafficking efforts and rules.

I-H4 visa: This visa can be issued when a child is coming from a Hague Convention country to the United States to be adopted.

IR-3 visa: This type of visa can be issued to a child whose adoption has been completed in a non-Hague Convention country. A parent needs to see the child before adoption proceedings go through.

IR-4 visa: This is also for children in non-Hague countries who are being adopted. This visa can be issued to a child who is coming to the United States when the adoption is not yet complete or they have been adopted by only one parent.

IR-2 visa: This can be used for a child who was adopted and has lived with adoptive parents for at least two years.

Each type of visa requires its own application, but each one can eventually lead to U.S. citizenship for your adopted child.

Do I Need an Immigration Lawyer?

Even the smoothest immigration process requires filling out a lot of paperwork and hitting important deadlines. This is why we recommend having an experienced immigration attorney when you are trying to bring your adopted child to the United States.

As we have outlined above, this process can vary a bit based on where the child is coming from, whether your partner has also adopted the child, and a variety of other factors. You need to be prepared for just about anything, and our legal team will help you address any complications that arise.

Contact Our Law Firm Today

We have plenty of experience helping people with all of their immigration issues. So if you are looking for the least stressful and most efficient way to bring your adopted child to the United States, contact the Law Office of Cheryl David. We can schedule a meeting and help you learn more about everything that needs to be done.