There are many ways to try and obtain a U.S. visa, and there is one method in particular that could work for some immigrants who have money to invest. If you invest your money in the United States and it is a net positive, that could allow you and your family to become permanent residents. Getting this visa, commonly known as the EB-5 visa, is not always easy though. You may want the assistance of a naturalization lawyer in New York City once you are ready to make your investment.

How Much of an Investment Do I Need to Make to Obtain a Visa?

The United States requires some specific investment amounts when you apply for an EB-5 visa. You have two options. You can:

Invest at least $500,000 in a Targeted Employment Area: A TEA is an area that has a high rate of unemployment. These are often rural areas. Investing in such a place with an intent to create jobs can make a large economic impact, and that can be enough to get you and some of your family members permanent resident status.

Invest at least $1,000,000 in another area: If you do not invest in a TEA, the size of your investment needs to be larger. Investing $1,000,000 in an area that is not economically depressed can still benefit the economy and create jobs. You just have to meet any of the requirements laid out by U.S.C.I.S.

How Long Is the Application Process?

The application process for an investment visa can take around 13 months. An application, Form I-526, has to be filled out and sent to the National Visa Center. They will ask you for any fees and required documents. Then you can interview at the United States Embassy and complete the process. If you are approved, you can live in the United States. You can also take some family members along with you, like your spouse and any children under the age of 21.

What Do I Need to Show for My Investment?

You cannot just invest the money and get your residential status changed. Your investment has to actually create value for the community that you have become a part of. You should be able to show that:

  • You have created at least 10 new full-time jobs for a period lasting at least two years
  • The money you invested was acquired legally
  • The investment was approved by USCIS
  • There was a risk to investing the capital and any gains were not guaranteed

Contact Our Compassionate Immigration Attorneys

If you want to learn more about your options and the different types of visas you may be able to apply for, contact the Law Offices of Cheryl R. David. We would be happy to schedule a consultation and answer any questions that you may have.