If you are seeking out an H-1B visa, you do need to have reached a certain point in your education. These particular types of visas are only available to those who have achieved a bachelor’s degree or higher. If you are confused about the other requirements or you are trying to secure a visa for yourself or a loved one, an employment visa attorney in New York City can be of service.

Can Anyone with a Bachelor’s Degree Get an H-1B Visa?

No, not exactly. Having a bachelor’s degree is a prerequisite for being awarded an H-1B visa, but not every applicant with this level of education can receive one.

An H-1B visa is awarded when you have a bachelor’s degree in an area related to the temporary professional position you have been offered. If there is a mismatch between the job you are applying to and the subject you studied, you are unlikely to receive one.

Is It Easier to Get an H-1B Visa in Some Professions?

Yes, there are definitely some professions and fields that make it easier for a qualified worker to receive an H-1B visa. They are most commonly awarded in jobs that require more specific knowledge and skills. Jobs in mathematics, various scientific fields, and engineering come to mind.

On the other hand, it can be hard to secure an H-1B visa for something like a sales job or even computer programming. Sometimes minimum education levels and skills requirements are just not specific enough in these fields. If you are attempting to get one in this type of profession, it is wise to consult an immigration attorney who understands the requirements.

When Should I Apply for an H-1B Visa?

The United States government begins to give out its next batch of H-1B visas on October 1, the start of its fiscal year. The number that can be given out is capped at 65,000. We recommend that you try to submit your application to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services in April, six months before the distribution of new documents will begin.

Can I Change Jobs?

Generally, the answer is no. An H-1B visa is specific. It is meant for your particular job that you are being sponsored by your employer for. If you are planning to change jobs or believe that your employment is going to end, you should consult an immigration attorney.

The specificity of this visa also means that your employer cannot drastically change your job duties. They would have to submit amended paperwork to the USCIS in order to give you different responsibilities.

Contact an Experienced Employment Lawyer

If you are looking for an employment visa or you need help with your current arrangement, let us help you. Contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David and learn more about what we can do to assist you.