If you’re like most people living in the United States while employed under a work visa, you’re most likely wondering about how to extend your stay here in the U.S., especially if your initial visa is about to expire. As you may know, extending a work visa in the United States can be a complex process, but going through this process is essential if you wish to continue working in the country. Please continue reading and reach out to an experienced employment immigration lawyer in NYC from the Law Offices of Cheryl R. David to learn more about the steps you, alongside your attorney, will have to take to ensure your work visa is extended in a timely manner. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How do I know if I am eligible to extend my work visa?

To extend your work visa, you’ll need to meet various criteria. They are as follows:

  • You have been lawfully admitted into the United States with a nonimmigrant visa
  • Your visa status is still valid at the time of your applying for an extension
  • You have not committed a crime that may make you ineligible for a visa and have not violated any conditions of your admission
  • Your passport is valid and will remain valid for the duration of your stay, even after an extension is granted

What do I need to do to get an extension on my work visa?

To have your work visa extended, you and your lawyer will have to first complete Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status. From here, you will submit the filing fee, which is, typically, $370, as well as the biometric services fee, which is, typically, $85.

You and your lawyer will also need to submit evidence and supporting documentation that proves you will qualify for an extension on your work visa.

Finally, you’ll sign and file the Form at the appropriate filing location (our firm can help you determine where that is). It’s important to note that your spouse and any unmarried children you have under the age of 21 can be included on the same Form.

If you have any further questions, or you’d like to retain the services of a seasoned immigration lawyer to help you extend your stay here in the United States, look no further than the Law Offices of Cheryl R. David. We are here to guide you through each step of the process ahead.