Virtually all immigration matters are time-sensitive. Unfortunately, many foreign nationals living and working here in the United States find themselves accidentally overstaying a visa at one time or another. That said, doing so is no small matter, as it can have significant consequences in terms of your future here in the United States. If you are currently overstaying a visa or you’re wondering about what could happen if you did so, please continue reading and reach out to a dedicated immigration attorney in NYC to learn more. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What are the potential penalties for overstaying a visa in the U.S.?

As you can imagine, there is a wide range of potential penalties when someone is caught overstaying their visa in the United States. To start, when someone is caught doing so, they will likely be placed in removal proceedings by ICE. You will likely also be issued an Order of Removal from the U.S. deportation court, as long as you are found guilty of overstaying. In this case, you will be forced to leave the country at once. Just some additional penalties you may face for overstaying in the U.S. are as follows:

  • You may be barred from returning to the United States. 3 and 10-year bars are the most common, but, depending on the circumstances of the case, you may be permanently barred from returning.
  • You may permanently lose your right from obtaining a green card and attaining lawful permanent residence in the future. Unfortunately, obtaining a green card is frequently the number one goal for all immigrants in the U.S., so it is important you ensure you do not overstay your visa and obey all immigration-related laws.

What should I do if I realize I need to get my visa renewed?

If you notice that your visa has either expired or is about to expire, you should speak with an immigration lawyer immediately. Your attorney can help you renew your visa or request an extension on your stay here in the United States. You need to speak to a lawyer about your options. The worst thing you can do is let your visa expire and do nothing. This will most likely result in legal action being taken against you. Our firm is here to help. If you’re facing visa issues of any kind, simply contact The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David today.