Since the start of the war in Ukraine, millions of Ukrainian refugees have fled their home country. While most of these refugees ended up in neighboring European countries like Poland, some Ukrainians have been immigrating to the United States too. To help these refugees, the Biden administration began a program called Uniting for Ukraine in early 2022. Continue reading to read more about this program and find out how an Immigration Attorney in NYC can provide individualized legal counseling!


This is a program that allows eligible Ukrainian refugees to live in the United States with the help of an American sponsor/supporter. Once the refugee has immigrated to the US, the sponsor will be responsible for providing housing and other necessary resources. Overall, sponsors help the refugees they’re supporting, called beneficiaries, transition into temporary but comfortable stays in the US.

The following resources are available for eligible Uniting for Ukraine beneficiaries:

  • Permission to stay in the US legally for two years
  • Job permit while residing here
  • Health insurance
  • Cash assistance
  • Childcare
  • Public education
  • Nutrition and food assistance


If you live in the United States, you might be considering sponsoring a Ukrainian refugee. Here’s who is eligible to apply to sponsor a beneficiary:

  • US citizens and nationals
  • Lawful permanent or temporary residents
  • Conditional permanent residents
  • Nonimmigrants with lawful status
  • Asylees
  • Refugees
  • Parolees
  • Temporary Protected Status (TPS) holders
  • Deferred action and Deferred Enforced Departure beneficiaries


If you’re a Ukrainian seeking refuge in the United States, you’ll need to meet the following requirements in order to get Uniting for Ukraine benefits:

  • You’re a Ukrainian citizen or you’re an immediate family member of a Uniting for Ukraine beneficiary
  • You have a valid passport or you’re a child including on a parent’s passport
  • You lived in Ukraine immediately before the Russian invasion up to February 11, 2022
  • You passed a background check
  • You have gotten the necessary vaccinations
  • An eligible sponsor has filed Form I-134A and the USCIS (United States Citizen and Immigration Services) has approved it
  • If under 18 years old, you’ll need to be with a parent or legal guardian

Do you live in New York City? Are you thinking of supporting or applying for the Uniting for Ukraine program? You might want to speak with a dedicated immigration lawyer for further assistance. Thankfully, the Law Offices of Cheryl R. David are on your side! Contact our highly experienced team today for an initial consultation.