Every year, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issues 140,00 employment visas to non-immigrants who want to work in our country. There are many benefits to having all types of employment visas. If you are thinking about applying for an employment visa in the United States, you might be wondering about the rights and responsibilities you will have while living here. No need to worry because our knowledgeable law firm has all the answers you’ll need! Continue reading to find out how an Employment Visa Attorney in New York City can provide you with individualized legal counseling.


The great thing about being an employment visa holder is you can enjoy some of the same benefits that US citizens and American employees receive. Some of the rights you’ll have with an employment visa include:

  • You can have your own passport and visa
  • You are free to travel
  • You can own property
  • You are protected from discrimination, sexual harassment, and sexual exploitation in the workplace
  • You are entitled to a safe and healthy workplace
  • You may request help from union, immigrant, and labor rights groups, when necessary
  • You must be paid fairly
  • You are protected if you need to leave an abusive employment situation


  • Temporary Non-Immigrant Visas
    • These are for people who are seeking to work in the US for a certain amount of time
    • Includes H-1B, H-2A, H-2B, H-3, I, L-1A, L-1B, O, P, R, and TN visas
  • Permanent Visas for (Immigrant) Workers
    • These are employment green cards for employees with certain job skills
    • Includes EB-1, EB-2, EB-3, EB-4, and EB-5 visas
  • Visas for Student and Exchange Visitors
    • These are for academic students, vocational students, and students in educational/cultural exchange programs
    • Includes F-1, F-2, F-3, M-1, M-2, M-3, J-1 and J-1 visas
  • Temporary Visits for Businesses
    • These are for short-term visitors living in the US for business reasons
    • Includes B-1 visas and GB Temporary Visitor to Guam visas

The US State Department also runs the WB Temporary Business Visitor under Visa Waiver Program, which allows workers in 39 countries to stay in the United States for up to 90 days, whether for business or tourism purposes.

Are you planning on applying for an employment visa in New York City? You might want to speak with a dedicated immigration law attorney who can help you to determine the best steps moving forward. Thankfully, the Law Offices of Cheryl R. David are on your side! Contact our highly experienced team today for an initial consultation.