A U visa is used by families of crime victims in exchange for helping law enforcement agencies. If you have questions about U visas, do not hesitate to reach out to our experienced New York immigration attorneys today to learn more.

What is a U visa?

A U visa is crafted for crime victims and their immediate family members who have faced serious mental or physical abuse and would like to assist law enforcement and other government officials in the investigation or prosecution of the crime. This was created with the intention of strengthening law enforcement agencies’ ability to investigate and prosecute cases involving domestic violence, sexual assault, and human trafficking. The ultimate goal of this is to protect victims.

The U visa works by allowing an individual to become a Lawful Permanent Resident if they have had a continuous physical presence in the United States while maintaining their U Visa status. It is also important to note that these visas are limited to 10,000 per year, but do there is no limit for family members such as spouses, children, or other eligible members.

Who is eligible to apply for a U visa?

There are six requirements that must be met in order to apply for a U visa in the United States. They are as follows:

  • The applicant must have been a victim of a qualifying criminal activity.
  • The applicant must have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse.
  • The applicant must be willing to provide information concerning the crime.
  • The applicant must assist in the investigation.
  • The criminal activity occurred in the United States or violated U.S. laws.
  • The applicant is admissible to the United States under current law.

What crimes qualify for this visa?

There are several different crimes that qualify for a U Visa in the United States. These crimes include:

  • Domestic violence
  • Female genital mutilation
  • Kidnapping
  • Manslaughter
  • Murder
  • Prostitution
  • Rape
  • Sexual Assault
  • Human trafficking

Am I able to extend a U visa?

Typically, a U visa is valid for four years. An extension may be available if:

  • Requested by law enforcement,
  • Needed based on exceptional circumstances,
  • Needed due to delays in consular processing, or
  • Automatically extended upon the filing of an application for adjustment of status.

If you have questions or concerns, it is in your best interest to reach out to our experienced law firm today to learn more. Our immigration attorneys are dedicated to helping you.

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

Our law firm can explain all the opportunities associated with fiancé visas and help you through the entire procedure, as well as discuss whether this is a good option. For an initial consultation with a skilled immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David in New York.