Undocumented immigrants in the United States are often worried about whether or not they will be forced to leave the country. It is because of this that when they are victims of or witness criminal activity of some sort, they may be afraid to go to law enforcement for assistance. This is out of the fear that they could be deported. However, it can be relieving to know that this may not be the case if you qualify for a U visa. Continue reading below to learn more and contact an experienced New York immigration attorney for assistance.

What is a U Visa?

The U visa is reserved for individuals with nonimmigrant status and are victims of certain crimes. This allows those who suffered mental or physical abuse to receive the help of law enforcement or government officials in investigating or prosecuting this criminal activity.

Do I Qualify For a U Visa?

In order to qualify for a U visa in the United States, you are required to prove you are the victim of a qualifying crime that occurred in the country. Qualifying crimes can include those that are particularly heinous, such as witnessing/experiencing murder, manslaughter, rape, domestic violence or human trafficking. In addition to this, you must show you sustained significant physical or emotional trauma. It is important to note you are required to assist law enforcement in providing them with information about the crime in order to qualify for this visa.

Can I Extend My U Visa?

Generally, U visas only last four years. However, there are situations in which it can be extended. This may be if law enforcement requests an extension, if you can prove you need the extension due to exceptional circumstances, or you can prove you need an extension due to delays in consular processing. It is also possible to modify the U visa in certain cases. If you do so, you have to prove you were approved for the visa and provide a birth certificate, proof of at least 3 years of uninterrupted presence in the United States, record of a medical examination/vaccinations, copies of your passports, and an affidavit of support.

Contact our Firm

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. Immigration is a sensitive issue, which is why you should consider a compassionate, experienced, and aggressive immigration attorney who will guide you every step of the way. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please do not hesitate to contact our office to discuss your circumstances and options.