If you are a noncitizen who wishes to work and live in the United States, there is a very good chance you are looking into employment visas. These visas are a fantastic way for immigrants to make a legal living while living here in the U.S. However, like all other immigration matters, obtaining an employment visa is not always easy. This is why to ensure you are going about the process in the best way possible, you must hire an experienced attorney. If you are looking into the potential of an employment visa, here are some of the questions you may have:

How can an employment visa benefit me?

Noncitizens with bachelor’s or advanced degrees who are seeking work in a specialty occupation may apply for employment visas. If you receive your employment visa, you may live in the United States until your job is completed. Usually, a nonimmigrant visa may be extended one or more times, though, after the last extension, the nonimmigrant worker must return to his or her home country. If you are a nonimmigrant worker and would like to obtain permanent residency in the U.S., you will have to enter the PERM labor certification process, which can be complex and time-consuming. Fortunately, a knowledgeable attorney can help.

What are the different types of employment visas?

  • H-1B Visas: For professional employees
  • H-2 Visas: For nonimmigrant unskilled workers in temporary or seasonal work
  • B-1 Visas: These allow short-term entry into the United States for meetings, conferences, seminars, and other events
  • TN Visas: Reserved for Mexican or Canadian professionals with sponsors in the U.S. at the time of application
  • L-1 Visas: For executives and managers transferring from other countries to the United States’ subsidiaries or regional offices of the employer corporation. L-1 Visas can also support an application for permanent residence without the need for PERM certification
  • F Visas: Visas required to enter the United States to attend a high school, private elementary school, conservatory, seminary, college, or another academic institution
  • M Visas: A student visa used to attend a vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution
  • P Visas: A type of temporary employment vis, granted to noncitizen athletes, artists, entertainers, and their spouses and children.
  • R Visas: Temporary visas granted to religious workers

Contact our experienced New York City firm

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. Immigration is a sensitive issue, which is why you should consider a compassionate, experienced, and aggressive immigration attorney who will help guide you every step of the way. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please do not hesitate to contact our office to discuss your circumstances and options.