Many people see a Green Card as a sigh of relief. They legally endured the process, and they made it. Unfortunately, a Green Card is fairly easy to lose, which can, quite imaginably, be a very scary moment. Fortunately, if you lose your Green Card, you do not have to panic. You may obtain a new one through a Form I-90. To learn more about how to get a lost Green Card replaced, please read on.

Where do I file my Form I-90 application?

You may either file a Form I-90 application online or by mail. When you apply, you must complete the form in its entirety. You must include your family name, your mailing address, date of birth, signature, and more. If you do not have an online account and submit a paper application, USCIS will create one for you upon receiving your application. The USCIS will then send you an Account Acceptance Notice with instructions regarding accessing your USCIS online account. From here you may pay your filing fee online, check the status of your application, receive notifications and case updates, and manage your contact information.

How much does it cost to get a new Green Card if I lost mine?

To get your Green Card replaced, it will cost $455, with a potential $85 biometric services fee. However, if your previous card was issued but never received, or your existing card has incorrect data because of a DHS error, you will not have to pay a filing fee. If you filed your Form I-90 by mail, you can pay the fee with a money order, cashier’s check, personal check, or by credit card using Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions. Those who pay by check must make their check payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

What do I need to replace a lost Green Card?

If your card has been stolen, lost, destroyed, or mutilated, you must provide a copy of your Permanent Resident Card or another government-issued form of identification that includes your name, date of birth, photograph, and signature. Additionally, if your card has been issued but not received, you must submit a government-issued form of identity that includes your name, date of birth, photograph, signature, and either a copy of your latest Form I-797, Notice of Action, or a copy of the page in your passport with an I-551 stamp if you were admitted as an immigrant.

Contact our experienced New York City firm

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. Immigration is a sensitive issue, which is why you should consider a compassionate, experienced, and aggressive immigration attorney who will guide you every step of the way. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please do not hesitate to contact our office to discuss your circumstances and options.