If you seek to temporarily travel into or out of the United States, you will need some sort of travel documentation, depending on your specific situation. Travel documents assure other governments that you can return to your issuing country and are commonly issued in booklet form. This allows other governments to enter visas and entry/exit stamps. If you are curious about the different types of travel documents, need help applying for a travel visa, or are having legal issues with a visa in your possession, please do not hesitate to contact an experienced attorney today.

What are short-stay travel visas?

Short-stay visas are for those who do not plan on being in the country for an extended period of time. Some examples of short-stay visas are as follows:

  • Working holiday visa: For those who are traveling between nations offering a working holiday program. This usually allows young people to engage in temporary work while traveling.
  • Transit visa: For those passing through the country to a destination outside of the country. Transit visas are usually limited to anywhere from a few hours to 10 days.
  • Cultural exchange visa: These are usually issued to athletes and performing artists participating in a cultural exchange program.
  • Athletic or artistic visa: These are issues to athletes and performing artists in competitions, concerts, shows, and other events. 
  • Private visa: For private visits by invitation of residents of the country.
  • Medical visa: For diagnostics or a course of treatment.
  • Business visa: These are for engaging in commerce in the country.
  • Tourist visa: For a limited period of leisure travel.
  • Short-stay or visitor visa: These are primarily for short visits to the host country.

What are long-stay travel visas?

Long-stay travel visas are primarily for longer, though still limited stays. Some examples of long-stay visas are as follows:

  • Asylum visas: Asylum visas are issued to those who have suffered or have a reasonable fear of persecution in their own country due to their political activities or opinion, association with a particular group, or who were exiled from their own country.
  • Refugee visas: These are issued to persons fleeing the dangers of persecution, a war, or a natural disaster.
  • Student visa: A student visa allows its holder to study at an institution of higher learning in the issuing country.
  • Journalist visa: For journalists traveling for their news organizations.
  • Temporary worker visa for approved employment: These are usually difficult to obtain, though they are also valid for longer periods of time than a business visa. One of the most common types is the H-1B visa. 

Contact our experienced New York City firm

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please contact the office to discuss your circumstances and options.