There are many people throughout the world who wish to come to the United States. One of the most popular reasons for people to come to the country is for the opportunity of employment. In order to enter the country legally, an individual must either be a citizen or have a visa that states their reason for coming to the United States. A visa is a type of passport that allows a person to enter a country for a period of time. There are many different types of visas that a foreign individual may apply for in order to come to the United States for work.

H-1B Visas

One of the most commonly sought employment visas in the United States is an H-1B visa. This visa allows employers in the country to hire foreign individuals in “specialty occupations” for a temporary period of time. Specialty occupations are fields that require a particular type of knowledge. Such fields may include professions in science, education law, mathematics, engineering, and more. An H-1B visa is issued to an individual for three years but may be extended for the same amount of time.

L-1 Visas

Foreign individuals who seek temporary employment are usually granted an L-1 visa. This visa is for employees that are looking to fill supervising or managing positions. It is also reserved for individuals who have expert knowledge in certain professions. There are two types of L-1 visas:

  • L-1A: Reserved for supervisor/manager positions. This visa holder is allowed to work in the country for up to 7 years.
  • L-1B: Reserved for those with knowledge that is out of the ordinary in certain professions. This visa holder is allowed to work in the country for up to 5 years.

Investor Visas

Investor visas allow or trade between different countries. This lets an investor enter the United States as self-employed. With this visa, investors are able to bring their family to the country as well. The family may also be eligible for employment during their stay. There are two types of investor visas:

  • E-1: Reserved for an employee of a treaty trader. They must have a supervisor position and show exceptional skill.
  • E-2: Reserved for investors of enterprises. The applicant must be in the process of or has already invested in a U.S. enterprise.

Both types of investor visas last 5 years and may be renewed every 5 years.

Temporary Work Visas

A temporary work visa allows a foreign individual to work in the United States for a limited period of time. There are several types of temporary work visas that are issued depending on an individual’s profession. This includes but is not limited to:

  • H-1B visa for specialty workers and fashion models
  • H-1C visa for registered nurses
  • H-2A visa for agricultural workers
  • H-2B visa for non-agricultural workers
  • H-3 visa for trainees and special education visitors
  • I-1 visa for foreign media
  • P-1 visa for athletes and entertainers
  • P-2 visa for artists in exchange programs
  • P-3 visa for artists with the purpose of teaching or performing
  • O visa for those with achievements in a certain field
  • Q-1 visa for those who participate in cultural exchange programs

Contact Our Firm

If you or someone you know is looking to apply for a visa to enter the United States, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David today.

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please contact the office to discuss your circumstances and options.