Citizenship in the United States can be a highly sought after status to obtain. Recent events have led to confusion over qualifying for citizenship in the country. In order to reside in the U.S., people need to be granted a green card. This allows for the legal residency of a person to permanently stay in the U.S. It allows the individual to enter into the workforce. In order to understand the process of obtaining a green card or sponsoring one, you should seek our legal counsel to prepare. We can help guide you toward citizenship for you or a loved one.

Who is eligible?

In order to be eligible for a green card, there are a few factors that will be considered. The current immigration status and U.S. immigration history of the individual will be questioned. Also, the family relationships of the individual will be examined as well. To apply for a green card, there are a few ways. These include family ties, employment, special immigration, victims of abuse, refugee or asylee status and human trafficking or crime victims. Based on these categories, immigrants can be broken up into categories and considered for eligibility.

How do I sponsor someone to get a green card?

If you happen to be a U.S. citizen, you have the opportunity to apply for a green card for your spouse, child or parent. This family sponsorship is only allowed for the immediate relative category. In order for this to work, the individual will have to have entered the country legally. If they entered the country legally but then their visa expired and they overstayed their permitted time, you may still be able to sponsor them. For situations like these, you may apply immediately for adjustment of their green card status. There is no wait list for this. If you are in the United States, the application may take four months to be processed.

If you are a U.S. citizen trying to sponsor your child or sibling that is over the age of 21, they may have to be placed on a wait list. There are a limited number of these petitions available each year.

Can I lose my green card status?

As someone who is in the country with a green card, you have to understand the terms of your citizenship. In order to best comprehend this, you should acquire legal counsel to prevent any issues from arising. If you violate criminal or immigration laws, your green card status may be revoked. You can lose your residency. It is in your best interest to seek more guidance on this matter to ensure your status.

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please contact the office to discuss your circumstances and options.