International students who wish to study full time in the United States will need to apply for a nonimmigrant visa. Academic students, as opposed to vocational students, will have to apply for an F-1 Visa that allows them to attend academic institutions, including elementary school, high school, college, university, seminary, conservatory, etc. There are a few important things that F-1 visa holders should be aware of.

Can F-1 visa holders obtain employment?

F-1 students are not permitted to obtain employment off-campus during the first year that they are in an academic program. However, they are able to work on-campus. Once the student finishes their first academic year, they will be permitted to apply for three different categories of employment off-campus, including:

  • Curricular Practical Training
  • Optional Practical Training
  • Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension

It is important to be aware that if a student transfers to another school or starts another education level at a different school, the student’s Optional Practical Training and their Employment Authorization Document will be automatically terminated. It is important for all international students to be aware of the provisions surrounding their visas in order to comply with the USCIS.

If you have questions about an F-1 visa, contact our firm today.

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout New York City. Our experienced attorneys understand how much is at stake when legal matters arise. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please contact the office to discuss your circumstances and options.