Individuals who are legally authorized to live or work in the United States are typically issued a Permanent Resident Card, which is more commonly referred to as a Green Card. Some people are considered “conditional” permanent residents and they only have a Green Card that is valid for two years. However, if the individual wishes to reside in the United States for longer than two years, they will have to remove the conditions from their Green Card. Two-year Green Cards cannot be renewed so the only way to continue living and working in the United States legally is by removing conditions. Otherwise, the individual may lose their status as a permanent resident.

Individuals who have been issued a family-based conditional permanent resident card will be required to file Form I-751, which is the Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence. Individuals who have been issued a Green Card with investor or entrepreneur-based conditions must file Form I-829, which is the Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions. Regardless of which situation is applicable, all condition-removing forms must be filed within the 90-day period before their Green Card expires.

There are several eligibility criteria that one must meet in order to remove the conditions. If you have questions about your two-year Green Card, contact our firm today so we can guide you accordingly.

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please contact the office to discuss your circumstances and options.