green cardMany people are very excited once they have finally achieved the status as a permanent resident of the United States. They may remain a permanent resident until they either decide to go through the naturalization process and become a citizen or they lose or abandon their status.

The ways that one could abandon their status as a permanent resident include moving out of the United States with no intentions to return, if you fill in “nonimmigrant” on your tax returns as opposed to “immigrant,” if you fail to file your United States income taxes while you are out of the country, and if you leave the United States for a long time and fail to prove that you were only leaving temporarily.

If you were to lose your permanent resident status for a reason other than abandonment, it may be because a judge issued a removal order against you and you are being deported. It is important to be aware that if you lose your status as a permanent resident, you will be required to inform the Internal Revenue Service of this development. In addition, you will be ordered to surrender your Green Card at this time.

If you are considering abandoning your permanent resident status or if you are in jeopardy of losing your status, you should consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can tell you what you need to do depending on your particular situation.

Please contact Cheryl David for a free initial consultation regarding immigration processes and questions. Cheryl is an experienced immigration attorney in New York City and would be happy to help you with any immigration-related matters.