Along with your I-751 petition, you’re going to need documentation to show that you’re still living together since you got your green card. A lot of people want to show me their marriage certificate. It’s not important. Immigration already has the marriage certificate, which is why they gave you the conditional green card in the first place. What they want to see is that you’re commingling your assets and your finances.

My suggested evidence is tax returns, joint bank statements, joint utility bills, trips together, children, joint responsibility for pets, health insurance, life insurance, car insurance, cards, invitations to weddings, etc. It’s not enough to just give one bill or one bank statement; they want to see over the last two years that you have been living together and you have these documents. Something from each month is a good idea in order to get your 751 approved. If you’re going to include pictures, it’s also important to include pictures with your family or friends, and it’s a good idea to label them.

With 751 applications, it’s important to keep in mind that more is better than less. You should have success in getting your 751 approved by mail. If you have questions about what documentation to include, please contact my office and we’d be happy to discuss the requirements for an I-751.

Cheryl David is an experienced immigration attorney in the New York City area. Contact her for a free initial evaluation regarding any questions you may have about immigration procedures and policies.