Noncitizens with bachelor’s or other advanced degrees who are seeking work in a specialty occupation may apply for employment visas. If you receive your employment visa, you may live in the United States until your job is completed. Read on to learn more about employment visas and the different types you can obtain.

What is an employment visa?

When a person receives an employment visa, it gives him or her legal authorization to live in the United States under the condition that he retains employment. This visa is allowed to be extended more than once, however, after the final extension, he will likely be required to go back to his native country. If his or her job is terminated or ends, he will also be required to return to his native country. However, in this case, it is important to know that he or she may seek permanent residency as a nonimmigrant worker through the PERM labor certification process.

What are the different types of employment visas?

There are a number of different types of employment visas, depending on your profession, education level, and more.

  • H-1B Visas: For professional employees
  • H-2 Visas: For nonimmigrant unskilled workers in temporary or seasonal work
  • B-1 Visas: These allow short-term entry into the United States for meetings, conferences, seminars, and other events
  • TN Visas: Reserved for Mexican or Canadian professionals with sponsors in the U.S. at the time of application
  • L-1 Visas: For executives and managers transferring from other countries to the United States’ subsidiaries or regional offices of the employer corporation. L-1 Visas can also support an application for permanent residence without the need for PERM certification
  • F Visas: Visas required to enter the United States to attend a high school, private elementary school, conservatory, seminary, college, or another academic institution
  • M Visas: A student visa used to attend a vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution
  • P Visas: A type of temporary employment vis, granted to noncitizen athletes, artists, entertainers, and their spouses and children.
  • R Visas: Temporary visas granted to religious workers

If you are interested in obtaining an employment visa, our firm is here to help. Reach out today to discuss your options with an experienced immigration law attorney.

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

For an initial consultation with a skilled New York immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David.