If you are interested in obtaining an H-1B visa, it is important to know what the process entails. Read on to learn more.

What is an H-1B Visa?

H-1B is a temporary visa offered to those with specialty occupations, DOD cooperative research and development project workers, and fashion models. Common applicants include those who work in:

  • Architecture
  • Engineering
  • Mathematics
  • Physical sciences
  • Social sciences
  • Biotechnology
  • Medicine and health
  • Education
  • Law
  • Accounting
  • Numerous other professions

Who is eligible to obtain an H-1B Visa?

Some requirements for a specialty occupation include:

  • Theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge
  • Attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree in the specific specialty (or its equivalent) as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the United States.

Some requirements for a DOD cooperative research and development project include:

The job must require a bachelor’s or higher degree, or its equivalent, to perform the duties.  According to uscis.gov, you must also submit:

  1. A verification letter from the DOD project manager for the particular project stating that the beneficiary will be working on a cooperative research and development project or a coproduction project under a reciprocal Government-to-Government agreement administered by DOD.
  2. A general description of the beneficiary’s duties on the particular project and the actual dates of the beneficiary’s employment on the project.
  3. A statement indicating the names of aliens currently employed on the project in the United States and their dates of employment and the names of aliens whose employment on the project ended within the past year.

If you are a fashion model you are eligible if:

  • The position/services must require a fashion model of prominence.
  • You must be a fashion model of distinguished merit and ability.

What does the process entail?

You will need to file an application for an H-1B Visa. It is best to do this with the help of an experienced immigration attorney. According to USCIS.gov, “U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) selects H-1B registrations for the filing of H-1B cap-subject petitions (or H-1B petitions for any year in which the registration requirement is suspended), by generally first selecting registrations based on the highest Occupational Employment Statistics (OES) prevailing wage level that the proffered wage equals or exceeds for the relevant Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) code and area(s) of intended employment.”

If you have any questions about obtaining an H-1B visa, our firm is here to help.

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

Our law firm can explain all the opportunities associated with fiancé visas and help you through the entire procedure, as well as discuss whether this is a good option. For an initial consultation with a skilled immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David in New York.