An investor visa, also known as an E visa, allows foreign nationals to be self-employed in the United States. If you receive an E visa, you can become a U.S. citizen for up to 5 years. Notably, you can renew your visa every 5 years as long as your qualifying business resumes. With this visa, your spouse and children may also stay and work in the United States. Read on to learn more about investor visas and the process of obtaining one.

How can I obtain an E-1 visa?

There are two forms of investor visas, E-1 and E-2.

To obtain an E-1 visa, you will have to meet the following requirements.

  • You must conduct at least 50% of the international trade with the U.S. and the treaty country
  • The income you receive from the trade should support you and your family
  • You must prove that there is an exchange between the US and your treaty country
  • It must be an international trade involving goods, services, and money
  • The owner must be a foreign national and own at least 50% of the company, though employees may hold a managerial position that is essential to the business’s success
  • Your trade must already exist between a ratified trade treaty country and the United States

How can I obtain an E-2 visa?

An E-2 visa requires the applicant to:

  • Have invested be actively investing in a U.S. enterprise
  • Have an investment of capital with the expectation of making a profit
  • Have possession and full control of the investment
  • Have an investment irrevocably committed to the U.S. enterprise
  • Have unsecured personal business capital OR capital secured by personal assets

When applying for any type of visa, it is important to speak with a skilled immigration law attorney. An attorney can walk you through the process and ensure that all documents are filed correctly. The process can be complicated, so it is best to have someone experienced on your side. Reach out to our firm with any questions or concerns about investment visas. We are here to advocate for you throughout every step of the process.

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

Our law firm can explain all the opportunities associated with fiancé visas and help you through the entire procedure, as well as discuss whether this is a good option. For an initial consultation with a skilled immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David in New York.