There are a number of different reasons someone might wish to immigrate to the U.S. As a result, there are different ways to do so. One way to enter the United States is with an investor visa. Read on to learn more about the program.

What is an Investor Visa?

An investor visa, also known as an E visa, gives foreign nationals the right to be self-employed in the U.S. If you receive an E visa, you can become a U.S. citizen for up to 5 years. Additionally, you can renew your visa every 5 years as long as your qualifying business resumes. With this visa, your spouse and children may also stay and work in the United States. There are two main types of E visas available.

How Can I Obtain an E-1 Visa?

In order to obtain an E-1 visa, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must conduct at least 50% of the international trade with the U.S. and the treaty country
  • The income you receive from the trade should support you and your family
  • You must prove that there is an exchange between the US and your treaty country
  • It must be an international trade involving goods, services, and money
  • The owner must be a foreign national and own at least 50% of the company, though employees may hold a managerial position that is essential to the business’s success
  • Your trade must already exist between a ratified trade treaty country and the United States

How Can I Obtain an E-2 Visa?

In order to obtain an E-2 visa, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Have invested be actively investing in a U.S. enterprise
  • Have an investment of capital with the expectation of making a profit
  • Have possession and full control of the investment
  • Have an investment irrevocably committed to the U.S. enterprise
  • Have unsecured personal business capital OR capital secured by personal assets

In order to determine which visa is right for you, be sure to contact a knowledgeable U.S. immigration attorney.

If you have any questions about the investor visa program, our firm is here to help. Reach out today to discuss your options with an experienced immigration law attorney.

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

Our law firm can explain all the opportunities associated with fiancé visas and help you through the entire procedure, as well as discuss whether this is a good option. For an initial consultation with a skilled immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David in New York.