The process of obtaining a green card can be stressful at times. Once you have submitted your application, you are likely anxiously awaiting the results. If you are someone who has recently submitted your application and are waiting for your approval, you most likely have several questions. Read on to learn more about the waiting period after submitting your green card application.

Can I Move While my Case is Pending with USCIS?

Those who move while their case is still pending must update their addresses with USCIS within 10 days of the move. This is because a lot of important information will be mailed to you. As a result, those who do not update their addresses will most likely miss vital information regarding their particular case. To update your address, you can go through your USCIS online account, or you may file the Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card, using the USCIS Change of Address webpage.

Can I Check the Status of my Case?

In order to get a status update on your application, you can either visit USCIS’s Case Status Online page and enter your Form I-485 receipt number to look up your pending case’s status, submit a case inquiry with USCIS, or call USCIS at 800-375-5283.

What Should I Do if I Need to Leave the United States While my Form I-485 is Pending?

Those who need to leave the country while their case is pending must first file Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. Unfortunately, under most circumstances, leaving the United States without an advance parole document while your Form I-485 is pending means abandoning your application and therefore you will not be granted a green card. If you have any questions or concerns about leaving the United States while your application is pending, you can reach out to our firm to skilled immigration attorneys.

Benefits of Obtaining a Green Card

While the process can be difficult, obtaining a green card can lead to a number of exciting opportunities. For example, you may have more employment opportunities, you will be allowed to apply for a driver’s license, and you may apply for a Social Security Card. Additionally, if you wish to travel out of the country for less than a year, a green card will grant your admittance back into the U.S.

 Our team of experienced attorneys is here to walk you through all of your immigration law matters. 

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

Our law firm can explain all the opportunities associated with fiancé visas and help you through the entire procedure, as well as discuss whether this is a good option. For an initial consultation with a skilled immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David in New York.