There are many people who leave family members behind to come to the United States in order to become a citizen. However, once they become a lawful permanent resident, they often look for ways to help their relatives accomplish the same goal. It is important to know that this is possible. When dealing with these matters, it is beneficial to retain the services of an experienced New York City immigration attorney to provide guidance through the legal process. 

What is a Form I-130?

A Form I-130 is known as Petition for Alien Relative. It is the first step in assisting an eligible relative immigrate to the United States. This can be used only by citizens or lawful permanent residents of the United States who with to establish their relationship to the eligible relative. 

It is important to know that the filing or approval of the petition does not mean the relative immediately has a status in the country. Instead, once it is approved, the relative can apply to become a lawful permanent resident. In some cases, certain relatives are required to wait until there is a visa number available before becoming a lawful permanent resident. 

Where Do I File the Form?

Where a person lives plays an important part in determining how the Form I-130 is filed. If the individual filing is currently living in the country as a citizen, they can file either at the Phoenix, Chicago, or Dallas Lockbox. However, in the event that the individual is a citizen who does not live in the country and is filing for an unmarried child under 21 or a parent, they can do so at the USCIS international office in the country they currently reside in. If the citizen is living in a country where there is no USCIS international lockbox, then they are required to file at the Dallas Lockbox. 

What Information Does the Form Require?

When filing a Form I-130, it is important to make sure all the necessary paperwork is in place. Some information that is required of an applicant includes evidence of their United States citizenship, United States national status, or lawful permanent residence. It may also require a copy of the child’s birth certificate or marriage certificate, depending on the relative, as well as their own birth certificate. In addition to this, the form must provide the nature the applicant and relative’s relationship with one another, both of their mailing addresses, and marital statuses.

Contact our Firm

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please contact the office to discuss your circumstances and options.