If you are a noncitizen and wish to work in New York, there are several things you need to know about qualifying for an H-1B Visa. As this can be a very involved process, it is only natural that you may have some questions. Before moving ahead, read more to find out whether or not you qualify.

How do I know I qualify for an H-1B Visa?

Essentially, an H-1B Visa is a work visa that allows employers to temporarily employ noncitizens in certain occupations. However, you should know that most common jobs will not qualify. In order to qualify, you generally have to specialize in a certain technical field. You will need a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in work experience, and the job offered must require a bachelor’s degree.

What are some of the professions that qualify for an H-1B Visa?

As again, these are specialized professions, not just anyone can obtain one. If you believe you qualify, it is important you first check if your field of study falls under the required guidelines. Here is a list of some of the fields that will generally qualify for an H-IB Visa:

  • Mathematics
  • Physical sciences
  • Social sciences
  • Architecture
  • Engineering
  • Biotechnology 
  • Law
  • Education
  • Accounting
  • Education
  • Medicine and health

While these areas of study usually qualify for an H-1B Visa, there are other professions that will qualify as well. This is why it is important for you to contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible to see if you qualify for sure. If you qualify, your H-1B Visa will be valid for thee years and, if appropriate, can be extended for another three years. You should also note that if you get fired or quit, your Visa will expire and you must return to your native country. If you are a student and are holding a student visa, you may be able to change your immigration status by applying for an H-1B employment visa upon graduating college and are offered a job in your field of study.

Contact our New York firm

Our experienced team of attorneys will guide you through the H-1B Visa process with the intent of making it as quick and easy as possible. We know how serious these situations may be, so you should ensure you contact an attorney you can trust. Don’t lose out on a potentially fantastic opportunity to further your career. By contacting an experienced attorney, you drastically increase your chances of obtaining the visa you need to stay in the country for up to six years. 

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please contact the office to discuss your circumstances and options.