There are several ways to enter the United States. Some of them are based on investment. One method is called an E-2 Treaty Investor Visa or simply the E-2 Visa. This visa option is something that does not allow for obtaining permanent residence or citizenship but does allow the individual on that visa to continue to work here on a business they invest in. There are some requirements for that option, however. 

One is that investment has to be substantial for that type of business and the business that you are going to be operating is something that is going to be able to sustain you and your family financially. As far as the word substantial, that is pretty much left open by the UCIS. It has to be substantial for that particular kind of business. Since there is no set number what people have often said is that you should try to keep your investment above $100,000 and any investment below $40,000 or even to $100,000 is probably not going to be approved.

As far as what’s known as the EB-5 Investor Visa, that’s the big one that you’ve probably heard people talk about where you’re investing $500,000 or $1,000,000. As far as how that works, if you’re going to invest the $500,000, it’s usually in economic target areas, which are specific areas that are selected by the government that needs improvement. For either option there are several requirements such as for the $500,000 option, you will need to show there are at least 5 employees that you create over the course of usually about 2 years. For the $1,000,000 option, there are at least 10 employees that you have to create over the course of those 2 years.

As far as other requirements and how to proceed with an investor visa, there are EB-5 regional centers that exist that you can consult and will assist you in how to even invest that money if you choose not to do a direct investment and manage that investment yourself. For more information, contact an experienced immigration attorney.

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please contact the office to discuss your circumstances and options.