Individuals who wish to lawfully live and work in the United States permanently are able to do by obtaining a green card. The term green card is used interchangeably with the card’s official name, which is a Permanent Resident Card. There are many different categories that one can apply for a green card under, depending on why that person is coming to the United States. The categories of eligibility are vast, but they cover many situations that include:

  • through a family member
  • through a job or employment opportunity
  • as a special immigrant (religious worker, international broadcaster, NATO employee, and more)
  • as a refugee or asylee
  • as a victim of crime, abuse, or human trafficking
  • other special acts such as Cuban Adjustment Act, the Haitian Refugee Immigrant Fairness Act, the Lautenberg parolee program, the Indochinese Parole Adjustment Act of 2000, and more

In order to apply for a green card, you will have to go through a lengthy process. Either you can file a sponsor petition or another party may have to do it for you, depending on how you are applying. Once the petition is approved, you will have to file a Green Card application with the USCIS and have your fingerprints and photos taken. Only after you do this and you have an interview to discuss your candidacy with the USCIS, you will receive a decision regarding your application.

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please contact the office to discuss your circumstances and options.