7595929414_0ec9f4bbe4_oMoving to a new country is one of the most challenging and many times, rewarding things a person can take on in their lifetime. However, there are many different factors that must be considered when you move to the United States. It is important to have the correct resources to guide you in the direction of success to make the most of your situation.

One of the most important things to do when you become a permanent resident is to get a Social Security number. This number identifies you and is necessary for taking out a loan, renting an apartment, or buying a car. To obtain a Social Security number, you will be required to bring your birth certificate or passport that shows your date of birth and where you were born, your permanent resident card, and your proof of permission to work in the United States.

This seems obvious, but you will need to determine whether you will rent or buy a home. There are plenty of resources available that can allow you to see the homes or apartments in your area that are available to rent or buy. One important thing to keep in mind is that a landlord is not permitted to discriminate against you for your race, color, religion, disability status, nationality, sex, or marital status when you wish to rent a home from them.

These protections against discrimination are also applicable when you apply for a job. There are also many resources on the internet that can help you find a job in your area. You may also want to speak with your attorney to determine what resources are available to help new immigrants find a job.

There are many other resources that can help you find child care for young children while you work, obtain health insurance, find reliable transportation, and find financial services that can make this transition into life in the United States a little bit easier. Speak with an experienced immigration law attorney today.

The Law Office of Cheryl David practices immigration law throughout NYC. If you have questions as to whether consular processing is right for you, or you can maybe change your status in the United States instead of going home, please contact the office to discuss your situation and options.