Once your fiancé has obtained their immigrant visa to come to the United States, their fiancé visa, you need to be married within 90 days of their entry. Unfortunately, that makes it hard to plan a wedding, especially if you want a big ceremony. You’re going to have to wait until they get here and the timing of that can be difficult to estimate. Once you’re married, then you’ll have to file for an I-45, which is an application for adjustment of status, it’s the green card application. That application along with financial documentation and the medical, is submitted to the immigration service and you will be called in, generally, for an interview to make sure you are still in the relationship and that you are still admissible to the United States. After that interview, presuming everything is fine, your spouse should be able to obtain their green card.

If you have questions about how to obtain a green card after your fiancé has entered the United States, please contact an immigration lawyer. Click here to set up a free initial consultation with Cheryl David, an experienced immigration attorney in NYC.