My US citizen father was never married to my mother, can he still sponsor me?

  • In order for your father to file for you for a green card, you have to be legitimated and those laws depend on where you were born or the country of birth.
  •  Some countries will legitimate you just by having your name on the birth certificate. Other countries only allow legitimation if your parents are married. If you are from a country where you can only legitimate by being married, then unfortunately they probably will not be able to sponsor you.
  •  If a father who had you out of wedlock wants to sponsor you from a country with easier laws, they have to demonstrate that you had a father/child relationship prior to your eighteenth birthday.
  •  If you have legitimization and evidence of a father/child relationship, than yes, your father can sponsor you for a green card regardless of whether your parents were married.