Can I work in the US while I my application for adjustment of status is pending?

  • Yes. When you file the adjustment of status application, you automatically file for employment authorization.
  • Employment authorization will take approximately 75 to 90 days to be approved. You are not supposed to work prior to obtaining an employment authorization.
  •  Yet there are approximately 11 million people in the United States working without authorization.
  •  You should not work. However, if you are filing to obtain your permanent resident status through a spouse, working without authorization will not negatively affect you in obtaining an adjustment of status.