visitor visa new york

In general, a noncitizen who wishes to temporarily enter the United States must first obtain a nonimmigrant visa for a temporary stay, such as a visitor visa. This type of visa allows said noncitizen to enter on a short-term basis for business, tourism or a combination of both. But not everyone qualifies. For more information on who may obtain a visitor visa, please read on, then contact an experienced temporary visas immigration lawyer in New York City.

Who qualifies for a visitor visa in New York?

That will depend on the exact visitor visa sought by an applicant, but United States immigration authorities usually permit visitor visa holders to do the following:

Business (B-1):

  • Consult with business associates
  • Attend a scientific, educational, professional or business convention or conference
  • Settle an estate
  • Negotiate a contract

Tourism (B-2):

  • Tourism
  • Vacation
  • Visit with friends or relatives
  • Medical treatment
  • Participation in social events hosted by fraternal, social or service organizations
  • Participation by amateurs in musical, sports or similar events or contests, if the applicant is not receiving payment for their participation
  • Enrollment in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree

What activities may visitor visa holders not do in New York?

Considering that USCIS issues other visas for these activities, it does not permit visitor visa holders to engage in:

  • Study
  • Employment
  • Paid performances or any professional performance before a paying audience
  • Arrival as a crew member on a ship or aircraft
  • Work as foreign press, in radio, film, print journalism or other information media
  • Permanent residence in the United States
  • Birth tourism, i.e. travel for the primary purpose of giving birth in the United States to obtain U.S. citizenship for their child

How do you apply for a visitor visa in NY?

To obtain a visitor visa, applicants must follow several important steps. The order of these steps and how you complete them may vary from U.S. Embassy or Consulate. However, they most often proceed as follows:

  • Completing the online visa application: An applicant must complete a Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, upload their photo and print out the application form confirmation page to bring to their interview.
  • Scheduling an interview: Unless the applicant is thirteen years of age or younger or eighty years of age or older, United States immigration authorities will require you to schedule an interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you live. Wait times for interview appointments vary by location, season and visa category, so apply early.
  • Prepare for your interview: Once you have paid your application fee, you should gather your completed Form DS-160, passport, application fee payment receipt and photo. You may also wish to prepare to explain the purpose of your trip, your intent to depart the U.S. after your trip and your ability to pay all costs of the trip.

Meet NYC immigration lawyer Cheryl R. David for answers to any other immigration-related questions you may have.

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

For an initial consultation with a skilled New York immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David.