Regardless of whether you hold a green card, as an immigrant, you may be facing a future of uncertainty. That is, there are many ways in which you can jeopardize your immigration status, such as violating visa conditions, committing crimes of moral turpitude, committing aggravated felonies, etc. Engaging in any of these acts may result in your deportation from the United States. If you are facing removal from the county, you may need to file waivers. Follow along to learn how a proficient New York City green card immigration lawyer at the Law Office of Cheryl R. David can work on your behalf in executing this.

Why may I be facing deportation from the United States?

Firstly, it is important to note the two types of proceedings that may lead to your deportation from the United States. For one, there is an inadmissibility proceeding, which applies if you are looking to enter the U.S. You may be facing this proceeding based on the following grounds:

  • Grounds based on immigration history.
  • Grounds based on immigration violations.
  • Grounds based on a lack of documentation.
  • Economic grounds.
  • Health-related grounds.
  • Criminal grounds.

Then, there is a removal proceeding, which applies if you are already in the U.S. You may be facing this proceeding based on the following grounds:

  • Fraudulent documents.
  • Fraudulent declaration of citizenship.
  • Criminal activities.
  • Marriage fraud.
  • Drug crimes.
  • Your part in smuggling other aliens into the U.S.

Of note, unlike an inadmissibility proceeding, a removal proceeding will hold the government entity responsible for satisfying the burden of proof. In other words, the government must collect enough evidence that demonstrates that you have committed certain crimes or violated certain immigration laws that constitute deportation from the U.S.

How can waivers fight my deportation from the United States?

One of the more popular options you may have in defending your right to stay in the U.S. is by filing waivers. This is because waivers can help in fighting off the following deportation actions:

  • Violations of visa conditions.
  • Criminal charges.
  • Illegal immigration.

An immigration attorney can use an I-601 waiver to fight against an inadmissibility status on your behalf. Or, they can file a removability waiver to fight against a removability status on your behalf.

If you have any further questions regarding how to file a waiver, do not hesitate in contacting a talented family immigration attorney in New York City at your earliest convenience. We will jump in at any point of the process and guide you throughout the rest of the proceedings ahead of you.

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

For an initial consultation with a skilled New York immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David.