A U Visa is a type of visa that has been created for victims of crime and their immediate family members who have faced serious mental or physical abuse and are willing to assist law enforcement and other government officials in the investigation or prosecution of the crime. Read on to learn more about U Visas, who is eligible, and more.

How does a U Visa work?

A U visa works by allowing an individual to become a Lawful Permanent Resident if they have had a continuous physical presence in the United States while maintaining their U Visa status. It is important to note that these visas are very limited, with only 10,000 issued per year. However, once you are issued a U Visa, there is no limit for family members such as spouses, children, or other eligible members.

Who is eligible to apply for a U visa?

In order to apply for a U Visa, you must meet the following requirements:

  • The applicant must have been a victim of a qualifying criminal activity
  • The applicant must have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse
  • The applicant must be willing to provide information concerning the crime
  • The applicant must assist in the investigation
  • The criminal activity occurred in the United States or violated U.S. laws
  • The applicant is admissible to the United States under current law

What crimes qualify for this visa?

It is important to know that not every crime will make you eligible for a U Visa. Some of the most common crimes that warrant eligibility include:

  • Domestic violence
  • Female genital mutilation
  • Kidnapping
  • Manslaughter
  • Murder
  • Prostitution
  • Rape
  • Sexual Assault
  • Human trafficking

How long does a U Visa last?

Typically, a U visa is valid for four years. However, an extension may be awarded if:

  • Requested by law enforcement
  • Needed based on exceptional circumstances
  • Needed due to delays in consular processing
  • Automatically extended upon the filing of an application for adjustment of status

If you are a victim of a serious crime, our firm will advocate for you. Reach out today to learn more about U Visas and to discuss your case with an experienced and dedicated immigration law attorney. We are here to address any questions or concerns you may have. Contact us today– the sooner you get in touch, the sooner we can begin working on your case.

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

For an initial consultation with a skilled New York immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David.