There are many perks of becoming an American citizen. One of the benefits is that you can help your relatives gain citizenship. Read on to learn more about the process.

Who can gain citizenship?

  • Unmarried adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens.
  • Spouses and unmarried children of green card holders and unmarried adult sons and daughters
  • Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens
  • Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens

What does the process entail?

The first step to helping an eligible relative apply for a green card is through Form I-130. If you currently live in the United States as a United States citizen, you will file your form either at the Phoenix, Chicago, or Dallas Lockbox. However, if you are a United States citizen and live outside of the United States, and are filing for an unmarried child under the age of 21, or for one of your parents, you will have to file at the USCIS international office in the country where you are currently living.

If you are a United States citizen who is living outside of the U.S. and in a country where there is no location for a USCIS international lockbox, then you will have to file at the Dallas lockbox.

What information do I need to file Form I-130?

The Form requires you to provide information regarding the nature of your relationship with your immigrant relative, your mailing address, marital status, and more. Additionally, the Form will require you to reveal information including the beneficiary’s full name, physical address, date of birth, and marital information. When filing this form, it is imperative that all of the necessary information is submitted. Some of the information you will need to submit includes evidence of your U.S. citizenship, U.S. national status, or lawful permanent residence, a copy of your child’s birth certificate (or your marriage certificate), a copy of your birth certificate, and more. This form can be tedious and a simple mistake can impact the entire process. As a result, it is important to work with an experienced immigration attorney who can help the process run as smoothly as possible.

How much does it cost to file?

It will cost $535 to file. This fee will need to be paid via personal check, money order, cashier’s check, or by credit card via Form G-1450. Failing to file correctly can result in another filing fee– working with an attorney can help save you money in the long run.

If you have any questions or concerns about filling out a Form I-130 and helping a relative gain citizenship.

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

Our law firm can explain all the opportunities associated with fiancé visas and help you through the entire procedure, as well as discuss whether this is a good option. For an initial consultation with a skilled immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David in New York.